THE GRAND CENTRAL RAILWAY
Grand Central Locomotive Number 43
Photo Courtesy of Bob Carnie
The driver is George Gineever, who is listed in the 1901 census as living at 6 Railway Cottages, Attercliffe, which was just off Broughton Lane. George died in 1908. They were carrying out Shunting operations at Tinsley Sidings. The photo was taken between Aug 1897 and Feb 1904.
The locomotive is an 0-6-0 goods engine of class 18A. Built in April 1871 at Gorton by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR). This was during the period when Charles Reboul Sacre was the Locomotive Superintendent (1859-86). Only 7 members of the class were built. It has 5ft 0in driving wheels with inside cylinders 17"x24". It was originally built with a larger boiler with two steam domes. At the time of the photo this had been replaced by the smaller class 6A boiler with just one dome
The MS&LR became the Great Central Railway (GCR) in Aug.1897. No number changes were involved.
The GC system at the time extended from Manchester in the west to Grimsby in the east, taking in most of south Yorkshire and northeast Lincolnshire. Also the London Extension to Marylebone via Nottingham and Leicester opened in 1899.
Return to Sheffield Indexers
copyright © Sheffield Indexers since 2004. All rights reserved.