BOYS' DEPARTMENT - continued
School Visits were not a common feature of education at this time, though a visit to the Western Park Museum was undertaken in 1915.
On Saturday Christmas Day 1915 the Headmaster, Mr. Andrews died from gallstones at the age of 51. He was replaced on 1st February 1916 by Mr. George Cooper.
The school was closed for two days in November 1918 on the signing of the Peace Armistice. In the following July Peace Celebrations were held in the Park, before a march to Marlcliffe and Wadsley Churches.
By the 1920's more visits were being made to places of interest e.g. Castleton, Eyam, Western Park and Mappin Art Gallery. Swimming at Upperthorpe Baths also became a feature of the curriculum.
Children were given an opportunity to take the Secondary School Examination and to attend a Secondary School if they were successful. It was reported that in July 1923 Isadore Simons in Standard 2 was placed second in a list of nearly 5,000 candidates for the Secondary Examination.
The first known opportunity for parents to see their children's school came in November 1924 when an Open Day was held in combination with the Girls' Department. Radio began to be used in the School from 1925. Among the first programmes used were a music programme, a talk on "Treasure Island" and the Armistice Service from the Cenotaph was used to synchronise the two minutes silence at 11.00 a.m. for the School's own service.
George Cooper, the Head, resigned in 1928 to be replaced by Mr. E. Hilton. In that year the yard received a top dressing, the lavatories were remodelled to have separate flushes and a hut in the yard was converted to a stockroom. In 1931 Mr. Redfearn retired after teaching at the school for 30 years.
School milk was introduced in October 1934. The third of a pint bottles cost ½d. 195 bottles were bought on the first day.
In August 1938, Mr. Hilton left to take up a post as Head of Southey Green Intermediate and Secondary School. Mr. E. Kay replaced him.
With the onset of War, some children from the School were evacuated to Kegworth -near Castle Donington. For those children who remained, a Home Service Scheme was started. Children were taught in houses on Middlewood Road, Carlton Road, Minto Road, Shenstone Road, Farndale Road, Bickerton Road, in a room over Langton's Shop and in the Park Cinema and Ballroom.
Early in 1940, part-time schooling at Marlcliffe was introduced in the afternoons to supplement the morning Home Service. Eventually, in May 1940 the school was reopened with 193 boys, the teachers being Messrs. Hall, Kelleher, Farley, Crookes and Carr.
A feature of 1940 and 1941 was the number of air raid warnings, with its consequent effect on school attendance the next day.
On the 22nd September 1941 school dinners were introduced. On 7th May 1945 the School was closed for three days with the "Victory in Europe" announcement.
A school camp was held in August 1950 at Flamborough when 53 boys went.
Mr. Fitzpatrick became Head in October 1950. In 1953 the school's first Swimming Gala was held at Hillsborough Baths when 250 parents attended.
1954 saw the visit of the Queen and Prince Philip to the Wednesday Ground. A number of Hillsborough children went as spectators and performers.
An H.M.I. Report on the School in 1955 reported that 294 boys attended the School. The boys were aged seven to 15 years. Most of the juniors came from the Hillsborough Infants' School. The seniors came mainly from the Junior Section and from Hillsborough Church of England and Marlcliffe Schools.
They found 40% of the leavers went into steel and engineering, 30% into building and the rest into motor engineering, railways, post office and distributive trades.
Hillsborough Boys' School shared the two and a half acre site with three other schools — a parallel school for the Girls, an Infants' School and a school for the educationally subnormal.
They reported a H.O.R.S.A. hut had been added in 1948 for Handicraft and Housecraft (to be shared with the Girls' School) and a H.O.R.S.A. classroom unit. The Inspectors commented on the fact there was no hall or other place where the School could be assembled as a whole or for indoor P.E. work. A small room was available to the Head, but this, served also as a staff room. Part of the children's cloakroom was used as a scullery for washing up after the midday meal.
The Handicraft Centre was used largely by the school, but two other schools and an evening class also made use of it. Games were held in Hillsborough Park, but the authorities did not allow any marking of pitches.
The Boys' Department was divided into a Junior section of 182 children in five classes and a Senior section of 112 children in three classes. The Inspectors looked forward to the opening of Chaucer Secondary School with its improved facilities for Secondary School children.
The Inspectors mentioned the greenhouse, which had been erected by the senior boys and the development of a small garden.
Physical Education had to be held outdoors as no hall was available. However, a P.E. club was held in the Infants' Hall every week after school.
Dinners were brought to the school in containers and eaten on school desks.
The highlights of the year were the Prize Giving, Sports' Day, Swimming Gala (combined with the Girls) and the Open Day. The Inspectors stated "The School made light of its difficulties, there was a zest for work and good standards are encouraged in work and behaviour.”
In 1956 the Handicraft Centre was made part of the school.
In 1957 there were 266 boys (four senior classes and four junior classes). There was a House System in the school using the names Eagles, Kestrels, Hawks and Falcons.
A five-day trip (four nights) was arranged to Grange Farm Camp, Chigwell in 1957 and included a river trip and visits to the Tower, Windsor and London Airport. The boys set off at 10.00 a.m. on the Monday and returned at 8.00 p.m. on the Friday. The total cost was £6.12s. 6d.
In 1958 the seniors were transferred to Chaucer Secondary School. Mr. Fitzpatrick became the Head of St. Peter's and a number of staff including Mr. S. Newham (Deputy), Mr. D. Cornthwaite, Mr. E. Swithinbank, Mr. G. H. Harding, Mr. J. E. Ketteringham and Mrs. S. M. Blackburn was transferred to Chaucer. Thus for the first time since the School opened in 1884 senior boys were not catered for at Hillsborough.
Back to Hillsborough Table of Contents
Return to Sheffield Indexers
copyright © Sheffield Indexers since 2004. All rights reserved.