The Girls' Department was opened on Monday 14th March 1892 occupying buildings towards the bottom of the site. Miss M. E. A. Taylor was Head.
The school was officially opened the following day by Mr. J. D. Leader (ex-Chairman of the Sheffield School Board). 215 children transferred from the Mixed School and 23 children from the Infant Department.
The Headteacher logged her pleasure at receiving the dumb bells which had been ordered for physical training.
In order to brighten up the school, the Head decided that pictures should be bought for each of the classrooms, the money being provided from the proceeds of a concert.
Worries about poor attendance led to a silk banner being hung in the room used by the best attending class. Miss Carr was appointed Head in August 1895.
A feature of the curriculum was the object lessons. Each standard had to cover a set number of subjects.
Among the subjects covered by Standard 1 were Liquids and Solids, Water and Milk, Hard and Soft Bodies; Coal, Sponge, Clay, Pottery; Flexible and Elastic Bodies; Cow, Sheep, Pig, Cat, Dog, Horse, Rabbit; Sparrow, Parrot, Stork, Swan, Ostrich; Parts of a Plant; Corn, Rice, Potatoes.
Standard 2 covered Adhesive Substance, Iron, Steel, Copper, Lead; Seeds and Germination; Parts of a Plant.
Standard 3 covered Water, Steam; Rain, Mist, Dew, fee, Snow, Hail; Paraffin, Oil, Coal, Carbonic Acid, Gas; Ventilation; How Heat affects Substances; Thermometer; Parts of a Plant; Human Body.
Every year the school was closed for the Owlerton and Wadsley
The H.M.I. Report of 1900 reported "This ably conducted school is taught with intelligence, skill and marked success. Domestic Economy taken for the first time is exceedingly well mastered."
In November 1901 the Girls' Department, like the others, was transferred to the Sheffield School Board. At this time cookery lessons were to commence at the recently-opened Morley Street School.
Mention is made in the Log Book of the opening of other neighbouring schools, Malin Bridge (9th January 1905), Wadsley Bridge (8th January 1906) and Marlcliffe (9th July 1915).
With the celebration of Peace (11th November 1918) a service was held in the morning and a holiday taken in the afternoon.
Back to Hillsborough Table of Contents
Return to Sheffield Indexers
copyright © Sheffield Indexers since 2004. All rights reserved.