GIRLS' DEPARTMENT - continued
In March 1919 Miss Carr resigned and Miss Spicer was in charge until Miss Turner, who came from Lowfield Girls' School, became Headmistress. She found the school badly equipped in paper and sewing materials. She was also concerned about standards, and all classes ceased taking Nature Study and Personal Hygiene for a time to take more of the three R's. End of term Reports were sent out in December 1921.
Christmas 1922 was celebrated with recitations, songs, dancing, drill, drama and carols.
An Open Afternoon and Evening, co-ordinated with the Boys' Department was held on 21st November 1924.
Swimming became a feature of the curriculum in the 1920's and in 1927 a Gala was held.
In 1928 Miss Mary Cole became Head, when Miss Turner went to Heeley Bank. However, she returned the following year to crown the first School Queen at the May Day Festival. Nancy Savage was crowned Queen Daffodil.
Jessie Richards of Standard 8 was chosen by lot to have a free air flight in 1929 with Sir Alan Cobham. In 1929 there were 283 girls in seven classes, each class having under 50 children.
A projector was used for the first time in 1930, and it was reported the pictures were fairly clear.
The hours of schooling in the morning were from 9.00 a.m. to 12,00 noon, but the afternoon times varied according to season. In the summer the afternoon hours were from 2.00 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. and in winter from 1.30 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. so that the children could be home before darkness.
Netball matches were first mentioned in 1932, and also in that year Music Concerts were commenced in the new City Hall. Galleries, which were a feature of old Victorian classrooms were removed from rooms 16 and 17 in October 1932.
An Armistice Day Service was held each year in November. Also regular Biblical knowledge examinations were held when the children's Bible knowledge and singing were tested.
A request for extra staff was refused in 1933 and the classes had to be altered, so that no teacher had more than 60 children. Milk supplied by the Brightside and Carbrook was introduced on 6th November 1933 Also in that year Wisewood Senior School was opened.
After five years in the post, Miss Cole left in 1934 to take up a post at Sharrow Lane Girls Department and Junior Mixed School. Miss Doris Chappell, who came from Owler Lane, became the new Head.
Back to Hillsborough Table of Contents
Return to Sheffield Indexers
copyright © Sheffield Indexers since 2004. All rights reserved.