HISTORY OF HILLSBOROUGH SCHOOL - continued
On 1st September 1891 School fees were abolished (they had been halved in June 1887). This avoided confrontations such as happened in 1889 when Mr. S — called and wished to see the Head's authority for refusing admission to children who went to school without their fees and was referred to Paragraph 28 in the regulations of the Board which stated that children were not to be allowed to attend without payment of the required fee.
In those days children were expected to work individually. The master was particularly concerned about one episode of copying. He writes of Standard 4, "The class is in good order, although some of the children (girls particularly) are inclined to copy from their neighbours."
On 14th January 1892 a Penny Bank was started. On the first day 79 depositors paid a total of £2. 9s. 3d.
The new Hillsborough Girls' Department was opened on 14th March 1892, and five teachers were transferred.
Problems of truancy are often referred to in the Log Book. On 28th March 1892 the Master writes of admitting a boy of Park View Terrace, Owlerton, who had been running the streets for six months.
"He is nearly 12 years of age, and has passed Standard 1 some time ago, but has since forgotten all he ever knew."
Each July the School closed for the Band of Hope Gala. A member of the Band of Hope periodically visited the school to talk about "Alcoholism" or "Temperance".
In the 1890's an Evening School was started in the school. In the first year the average attendance was 146 and a grant of £11. 14s. 6d. was allowed. Subjects included Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Physiology and Shorthand.
An indication that much poverty existed in those days is that Mrs. E. Chattell (the Head's wife) provided breakfast for 12 poor boys in the private room from 9.00 a.m. to 9.20 a.m.
Science continued to play an important part in the curriculum, particularly for the older children. Children in Standard 3 had to study The Build of the Human Body - skeleton ~ names and positions of the bones —joints — structure of the skin — suitability of the shape of body and limbs for the work of man.
Standard 4 studied the names and positions and functions of the internal organs.
Standard 5, 6, 7 studied the organs and functions of alimentation, circulation and respiration and the use and abuse of food and drink.
Most science lessons were of a biological nature, although some lessons were given on coal gas, evaporation, condensation and a comparison between air and water.
Concern was repeatedly expressed about standards. In 1898 the Head wrote: "24 scholars over 10 years of age are still in Standard 2"
"84 scholars over seven years of age are still in Standard 1".
Back to Hillsborough Table of Contents
Return to Sheffield Indexers
copyright © Sheffield Indexers since 2004. All rights reserved.